Thursday, October 18, 2007

#11 All about Library Thing

Library Thing is very similar to Booktribes - both come up with scary suggestions and prove that I have very strange reading habits.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/gelisblogger

The suggestions were not very helpful, mainly suggesting another book by an author I had listed. This is why we need librarians to suggest titles, not computers. The suggestions had a fixation with Harry Potter. I have not read any of the books or see the films. I may, but not because an algorithm tells me I should...

1 comment:

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

It is not the computer that suggest the title, but other people and the way they put subject headings and genres on the blloks they put into LibraryThing. We have just put LibraryThing into our catalogue so when you display a full entry on our online cataligue, a libraryThing tag also displays with suggested similar books to read. It will be interesting to see what type of books are displayed because we are relying on the public to tag them
Keepp up the good work

Lynette